Re: [Amps] Big HV Supply

To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.qozzy.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Big HV Supply
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 08:52:44 -0700

-----Original Message----- From: Carl
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 7:44 AM
To: Jim Thomson ; amps@contesting.com

<The LK-550 runs three 3-500's and cooling would likely limit power as it is
a fan. Ive had them up to 2200W or so with 150W drive....nothing to brag
about tho!

Ive built several LK-800's for 6M EME that do a solid 5 out without
complaining and going to a good EBM fan.

On HF I dont know how well the bandswitch will hold up over time and the
fixec C used needs beefing up.

Another thing I dont know is tube life at that power but money isnt
important to some.

BTW what is a full output YC-156 going for these days? It came from Tom,
WD8??? ages ago. Also have a filament xfmr and one of those UK sockets all
set up for good air flow. I'll never get around to building another amp and
dont need QRO here.

Carl

## YC-156 does not use a socket. Its got a grid flange that just bolts to chassis. Then the fil lugs below. Indirectly heated like a 8877. Eimac sez 6 min warm up minimum, but Reid Brandon and I talked about that years ago, and he highly recommended a full 8 mins. Typ they go for $400.00 for a good one. I dont recommend it these days as they are real scarce... and are just pulls of pulls. The 11m ops have beaten the crap out of them too. I designed a YC-156 80-10m for a local buddy, and he bought a total of 12 tubes, TWELVE, and only 3 are any good. What typ happens is you end up with a grid to fil short, or grid to cathode short after just 5 mins..with fil on, blower on, and NO B+. Without at least 2-3 known good tubes, I would not build a YC-156 from scratch. Loads of YC-156 amps out there, so should be easy to sell, with the provisio that the tube functions in a working amp. Buddy bought every YC-156 he could
get his hands on...and 9 were duds.   One good one, and  2 x semi good ones.

## That OM power OM-4000 HF sells for $6K..and does an easy 4-5 kw out all day long. It comes with a FCC approved input board, which has the input attenuators built onto it, so it needs like 60+ watts to drive it to 1.5 kw. The attenuator is easily bypassed, then it can easily be driven to 4 kw out with just 20 watts..and more with a bit more drive. Also comes in both a manual..and full auto version..and both use a pair of chinese FU-728F tubes. https://www.arraysolutions.com/amplifiers-rf?page=1 They also make a remote small console to remote the amp, if u want, cheap, like $288.00 Emtron, when they were in business, also made a similar amp, same pair of chinese tubes, and they rated
their version at 4.5 kw out.

## JA6TAY, from bear-el now has a separate company that mass produces his 160-10m, 3CX-3000A7 commercial amp. 5++ kw out with just 200 watts of drive. Looks sorta like a Henry radio 8K ultra.. but actually built correctly. RF deck + B+ supply etc, sit in a 100 kg box..complete with 7.5 kva CCS xfmr. Small box in shack contains the myriad of pre-sets, and fine adjustment tune control etc, + 5 x panel meters. https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.bear-el.com/&prev=search 2nd item down. I have all the schematics for it. Uses a motor driven vac tune cap..and a motor driven 10 kw rated roller coil, then a myriad of vac relays to switch in various combo's of fixed load caps. He ships a helluva lot of em.

## which UK socket do you have ? There is some outfit in the UK I believe that makes quality SK-1320 sockets for the bigger GG triodes...... at a relatively cheap price... like 188 Euro's... like $230 US funds. On a related note, if the grid driven version of the socket is used... which is called a SK-1300..and u try to modify it for GG, it can be done, BUT, in addition to 4 x cu straps being installed, on edge, so not to impede airflow, the 4 x small ceramic insulators on the socket assy also have to be removed..and replaced with aluminum threaded cylinders. If the al cylinders are not installed, all hell breaks loose, and a parasitic will result. With the 4 x al cylinders and 4 x straps, its rock solid..and no suppressor required on the series of GG triode tubes that use the SK-1320 socket. http://www.aluminumspacers.com/ cheap source for solid AL spacers with a hole down the center,,, or a threaded hole. U can get virtually any OD + ID and any thread size..and also overall length. Saves a lot of screwing about fabricating
them by hand.

Sri for the diatribe, but thats this weeks bits of latest info that I know of. Only other recent news is the availability of the teflon version of LMR-600. A buddy found a source, they typ come in 17 ft lengths with type N connectors. The Type Ns are tossed, and replaced with 7-16 din or .875 EIA flange connectors. Typ used for rotor loops

Jim   VE7RF

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>