Re: [Amps] SB220 running plate current when no drive

To: Steve AA7V <aa7victor@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB220 running plate current when no drive
From: Donald Fox via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 21:03:52 +0000 (UTC)
 Hi Steve:
I am pretty sure you are the proud owner of at least one tube with a grid to
cathode short. Since the filaments are wired in parallel, you can remove
(carefully) one tube at a time, and see which one is causing the issue. You
don't want to operate it this way for long though, as besides the obvious plate
current issue, the filament xformer will burn up in short order.

Unplug the AC cord before you open it up, and remember to (safely) short one of
the tube anode connectors to ground before touching anything inside the tube
compartment.

You can make the job easier by placing a non conductive item between the HV
shorting bar and ground, which will allow you to fire it up with the top open.
Be VERY careful during this process though, and make darn sure the HV has bled
away before touching anything inside again When you find the tube that has no
plate current in stand by, that's the good one.
If needed, you can run it on one tube, but of course the plate/load settings
will be different, and output will be less. Also, be sure that the missing
tube's plate connector won't short out to anything when you fire it back up on
one bottle.

Before you button it back up, don't forget to remove the item you installed to
disable the HV shorting bar.

Don N8ECH
     On Monday, October 5, 2020, 02:03:49 PM EDT, Steve AA7V