Re: [Amps] SB220 running plate current when no drive

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB220 running plate current when no drive
From: Alek Petkovic <vk6apk@bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 08:56:31 +0800
Grid to filament short in one or both tubes.

73, Alek, VK6APK

On 6/10/2020 2:03 am, Steve AA7V wrote:
Hello to the group;

My SB220 has started to act up.

Immediately upon power on, the 3-500s both start drawing plate current. The
meter shows approximately 250 ma of current. It is apparent some component
has failed.

Also, it appears the grid current meter is showing a negative value (if
this is possible) as the needle now rests on the left peg.

I am not adverse to troubleshooting to the component level but would
appreciate any advice as to how to narrow my search to a specific set of
probable causes.

If I am unable to fix this amp, does anyone have any recommendations
towards a person that works on SB220s?

Regards

Steve AA7V