Re: [Amps] FW: SB220 - 10 Metre input coil adjustment

To: MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>, Tim Duffy <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FW: SB220 - 10 Metre input coil adjustment
From: gudguyham--- via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 12:01:49 +0000 (UTC)
With solid state radios the 10 meter output varies depending on how sensitive
the fold back circuitry is.  High input swr robs valuable drive power and with
12db gain that’s significant loss of drive power.  If your input swr is even
1.5 to 1 you are losing valuable drive power. At any swr level other than that
which produces maximum output power, you won’t get full potential power.  Many
have reworked the 15 and 10 meter pi-networks to obtain better output.  Rich
Measures addressed this years ago and has alternate data on all band pi
networks.  In my many years working on these amps I’ve experienced the full
gamut of the 10 meter input swr issue.  In some amps with some radios the stock
pi input as it came from Heath  may only need some inductor adjustment to
satisfy your radio. Some radios require some value changes.  Rich’s page goes
into this.  However I have found that providing all the mica values on the
input pi networks on 80-20 are correct and the amp was assembled to the manual
specs on those bands it is 100% positive to adjust the swr down to 1 to 1 or
whatever produces maximum output.  I would not recommend changing anything on
those bands unless it’s just a minor slug adjustment. If you can’t flatten
those bands you should expect that a mica cap changed value a lot.  On some
amps 15 might be terrible no matter what and may require reworking. Remember
these were kits and above 21mhz small variations can cause big differences.
Ameritron amps have the finest input circuits of almost any ham amplifier.
Every bands’ input swr is right on from the factory.  Their  amps are very
consistent on this because the input circuits are all built on PC boards and
this makes no possible way for assembly differences.  If you simply can’t get a
good match on 15 and 10 you can check out AG6K for alternate circuits.  Believe
me, this can be very frustrating.  Another thing to remember on the SB220, you
can massage the few turns on the 10 section on the tank coil to optimize the
tank for the portion of the band you want optimized.  I would do this first
off!!!!!!  Often times you’ll see that bringing the tank coil to the right
inductance will also help the input circuit as well!!!  First do a chart of of
output vs frequency to see where you are at, then slightly massage only the 10
meter windings of the coil until the power peaks where you want, then attack
the input.  Just a hint, sometimes you can get maximum power output with the
input showing wild high input swr that changes with slight load cap changes.
If you are getting lots of power but see this high swr then that reading is a
phantom swr reading being caused by some harmonic reflection on the input
circuit.  In the ideal world  the input swr the radio sees from the input
network should NOT vary as the load control is at slightly different settings.
The swr should be be constant and independent of load cap setting.  Once again
it’s up to you if you want to pursue the input circuit  beyond the power level
output that satisfies you.  I’ve found that input circuit design is an art and
science all in itself.  Off the self circuits may or may not satisfy your amp,
especially home brew.  The placement of the input circuit in relation to the
cathode, the actual impedance of any connecting coax and the surrounding
architecture will effect the results.  Hopefully there is enough leeway in
adjustments that these variables can be dealt with.  Remember these few hints
as you go along. 10 meters is getting better these days and these amps may need
to work to get them right on this band.  Also, if your amp makes good power on
20 meters and much less on 10 it’s really not a tube issue.  In the sb220 it’s
most likely input circuit and tank coil adjustments.  3-500 tubes really don’t
lose gain at 10 meters!!  Good luck and HNY!

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS