Re: [Amps] 8877

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 8877
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 06:00:56 -0600
Thanks to Doug WA1TUT for the memory of Scientific Radio.  Harris and
S.R. made continuous duty power amplifiers using 3-500s or 3-1000s
that dwarfed the ham gear.

Thanks to Paul W9AC for that Dick Ehrhorn post.  I didn't know about
the 8877 gk short problem either.

> When did they get so expensive?

Don't know about when exactly, but a few factors are the cause.  In
addition to the aforementioned inflation, you have transportation
costs of parts, transformer costs (copper), raw material costs
(steel), other h.v. parts costs, and reduced demand.  I have no doubt
fewer tube amplifiers are being sold now which pushes per unit parts
and manufacturing costs up.  More disturbing than the vanishing tube,
is the looming disappearance of other h.v. parts such as doorknobs,
450 v. electrolytics, and ceramics such as band switches and feed
throughs.  Anything not needed for low v. solid state will become
harder to find.

73
Rob
K5UJ