Re: [Amps] 10 kw CCS on 6M. Part-3

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 10 kw CCS on 6M. Part-3
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 21:53:21 -0400
I actually agree with a lot of what Don says, though I think that reference to "hoity toity nonsense" is frankly unjustified.  Of course, we all drive cars that will far exceed the speed limit, and in my 68 years as a ham, I've enjoyed the stories like the one about the 6-land ham who thought the mercury vapor rectifiers on his 5 kw amp were flashing over, and discovered instead that the FCC was down in his basement with a Speed Graphic collecting evidence.

There are multiple commercial amplifiers on the market right now that will far exceed our legal limit.  My question had mainly to do with the obvious fact that almost nobody else will even approach that power level in their home-brew projects, and what I saw in the You-Tube video was a bunch of elementary metal-working specifically (and only) applicable to huge high-power tubes.  To me that's not really helpful to the reflector audience - it's mainly showing off.

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at<https://reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.