Re: [Amps] 10 kw CCS on 6M

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 10 kw CCS on 6M
From: donroden@hiwaay.net
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 09:56:44 -0500

I spent 40 years maintaining Broadcast transmitters. It was always my preference to get the final tube(s) close to their operating points before working my way back to the lowest power drivers. Keeping the screen voltage low, or keeping the grid voltage near or beyond cutoff while using a sensitive voltage or power meter to find the matched output network settings resulted in a much reduced stress level..... for both me and the tubes. Cathode over-current relays were set at 1/3rd to 1/4th typical operating conditions until relatively stable operations were achieved. We always worked from the highest powered stages backwards to give the lower powered stages a load to work into. Lowering filament voltages during tuneups to below operating levels also helped to keep the "bang" factor low. W4DNR