Re: [Amps] 10 kw CCS on 6M - High Power Amplifier Installations

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 10 kw CCS on 6M - High Power Amplifier Installations
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 18:54:55 -0500
I want to thank everyone for sharing their wonderful experiences with very high power transmitters.

My curiosity was piqued especially when I read about the 600 kW British Aspidistra MW transmitter used for "black propaganda" in Geoffrey Pidgeon's "The Secret Wireless War." What struck me about it was that it had frequency agility and could be tuned to different MW frequencies to avoid jamming, etc. I have no idea if it was channelized but that seems likely. Still, the antenna matching network had to also be adjusted when the frequency was changed and I have to wonder how the match was kept acceptable as the wind blew or when the antenna accumulated ice.

I can only imagine that AM BC stations must have to deal with that. How much of a mismatch can big transmitters tolerate? And I've always wondered how the huge shortwave BC stations were switched back on based on their schedules. With this much power, it's a delicate business!

73,

Kim N5OP