Re: [Amps] 10 kw CCS on 6M - High Power Amplifier Installations

To: cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 10 kw CCS on 6M - High Power Amplifier Installations
From: sm0aom--- via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 10:44:39 +0200 (CEST)
The Aspidistra transmitter was built by RCA, but I have never seen any detailed
description or block diagram over it.
It may however be suspected that it used the "tuning drawer" or "tuning waggon"
concepts, which were pioneered by Marconi in the 1930s, were used.

Here, pre-tuned circuits could be manually exchanged in a very short time to
establish proper conditions on the new frequency.
The Aspidistra transmitter operated on a quite limited number of frequencies
used by the German Home Service broadcast transmitters, "Deutschlandsender" or
"Reichssender", which were known in advance so they could be prepared.

The medium-frequency AM transmitters used here were tuned into quite low-Q
antenna systems that did not change much with weather or ice.  Only one
high-power MF transmitter was installed  (1984) during my time at Swedish
Telecom Radio, the 600 kW Telefunken S4006 on 1179 kHz which used a
phased-tower directional array.

It was specified to handle a VSWR of 1.3:1, but could be adjusted by
servo-motors to keep it below 1.2:1 if the need would arise.
This was the only broadcast transmitter in recent times which operated into
some form of tuned antenna.

The Thomson-CSF HF transmitters operated into either curtain antennas from TCI
or log-periodics. It was the flash-over risks in the feedlines and rotary
joints that ultimately limited the allowable VSWR, if I recall correctly the
limits were set to 1.5:1 for the log-periodics.

All HF broadcast transmitters here operated at only day-time staffed sites, and
the frequency changes were entirely automatic.
Due to energy costs, the transmitters were switched off during the idle-time,
and a stored time-table at the central broadcast control site started and
stopped the transmitters via remote control.

The 500 kW Thomson transmitters at the Karlsborg site that I am most familiar
with had a local programming table where frequencies and antenna directions
were stored.

When the "start" command for a given frequency was received from Stockholm via
remote control,
the frequency was entered into the exciter, the antenna started to rotate to
the direction associated with the frequency, and the main power switched on.

After about 5 minutes, the warm-up cycle was completed, and the servo motors in
the transmitter had reached their preset positions, and reduced power, about
100 kW, was ordered and the output power checked. If nothing dangerous
happened, full power became applied and the programme feed was connected.

When the programme for a frequency and direction had ended, the transmitter was
ordered to stand-by, a new frequency entered into the exciter and the antenna
rotated. After this, the procedure was repeated.

The transmitters were remarkably reliable, after some teething problems were
solved after installation in 1974, they could operate unattended for months on
end. Regular scheduled maintenance was cleaning of air filters and checking the
tube operating points bi-weekly and monthly the frequency accuracy, modulation
depths and audio distortion were checked.

Once a year, the transmitters were taken off the air for a week, cleaned
internally, inspected for wear of moving parts and power tubes exchanged if
needed.

In 1993, the high-level modulated Thomson-CSF AM transmitters were taken off
the air due to maintenance and energy cost reasons, and replaced with new ABB
(Brown-Boveri) transmitters that also permitted SSB and DRM transmissions at
the Hörby site only.

The Karlsborg site was then de-manned after the remaining Telefunken
transmitters for HF air-ground services were replaced with solid-state
amplifiers.

All staff members were retired.

My own part in this was that I worked with engineering management at the Head
Office of Swedish Telecom Radio, who owned and operated the HF transmitting
sites, during the 1980s and 90s.

73/
Karl-Arne
SM0AOM