[antennaware] Convergence problem with EZNEC

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [antennaware] Convergence problem with EZNEC
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:47:50 -0700

Hi Pete,

My experience regarding segmentation in EZNEC (NEC-2) with even
simple Yagis has been similar to LBs.  I normally set the
frequency to at least 3 times the operating frequency and then do
the auto segmentation to the conservative setting.  Then I run
the model at the actual operating frequency (of course).  This
has produced pretty good agreement between modeled and measured
antennas.

Also, as you no doubt have already noticed, stacking stock
antennas is unlikely to produce optimum results (particularly in
regards to F/B) until the antennas are readjusted to account for
having been exposed to one another.

However, if you are modeling guys that connect to the tower,
there may be other problems that need a bit of mitigation.  Can
you expound a bit more on the details of the model?

1.  How is the tower structure represented in the model?
    (lattice, fat conductor, etc.)

2.  Any slopers attached to the tower?

3.  Guys connected to tower?

4.  Insulator broken conductive guys to large segments of
    non-conductive guy cable to make the breaks?

5.  Etc.

73, Eric  N7CL