[Antennaware] russian vertical

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [Antennaware] russian vertical
From: jonvwill@iastate.edu (Jonathan Williams)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:58:01 -0500
For feeding such an antenna, you might try open wire ladder line or 450 Ohm
"window wire".  You'll need a balanced-line tuner to make it work, but the
losses will be manageable for reasonably short feed line runs.

We've had good luck using almost this exact same antenna at portable Field
Day sites.

While I can't comment on the number of radials for the "Russian Vertical",
ours uses twenty 12-foot radials (with good mid-Iowa soil for the ground
plane).  Obviously, for a more permanent installation, one could use 40 or
more radials 20 feet long each (.4 lambda at the lowest frequency) or longer.

Jonathan
N0YM