[Antennaware] EZNEC modelling

To: antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: [Antennaware] EZNEC modelling
From: David Gould <dave@g3ueg.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:27:42 +0000
Thanks for the input so far.

Ed K4SB asked how I determine the L-match components..  I use the
following website to match what the model gives me to 50ohms.  The
network I use is the second down on the right.  You do need to watch
the units ie frequency as 10.125e6 and the results give inductance in
nanohenries.
http://bwrc.eecs.berkeley.edu/Research/RF/projects/60GHz/matching/ImpMatch.html

The antenna is a 48ft vertical, 2.5inches at the bottom tapering to
2inches at the top.
For the 10MHz example I am working on, that gives me
A coil of  4.3uh  (X=274) from bottom of antenna to earth.
A series capacitor 90pf  (X= -175) from bottom of antenna (top of
coil) to feed line

I just went ahead and modelled it in EZNEC (V3) as I
described...  And it gave absolute rubbish...  (I am NOT blaming the software!)
The feed impedance was given as 220 - j18,000.
I think this proves that my model is far from correct, but I don't
know what to change to make it a true representation of my real life antenna.

I am happy with the physical implementation of the antenna,  I just
want to play about with the model so I can get some idea of what
effect different coils (of different Q) and different earth losses
make to the antenna efficiency and SWR bandwidth.

73,
Dave, G3UEG