Re: [Antennaware] Vertical Dipoles

To: David Gould <dave@g3ueg.co.uk>,<antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Vertical Dipoles
From: Joe Reisert <Joe@Reisert.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 16:06:48 -0500
David,

I made quite a few vertical 1/2 wavelength dipoles from 30 MHz up but
the same principles should work at lower bands albeit much larger!

What I did was to run the coax down inside the lower 1/4 wavelength
tube. To make this work, three things had to be done. The lower tube
had to be at least 3-5 times the diameter of the coax or at least
1.5" inside diameter if using RG8 coax. Next, the coax had to be
centrally supported within the lower tube and thirdly, I placed
several ferrite beads on the coax at both the feed end (in the center
of the antenna) and where the coax exited the lower tube. The later
beads can be external to the tube. The VSWR was about 1.5:1 but that
is not a problem.

73,

Joe, W1JR