Re: [Antennaware] Help with Short Dipole

To: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Help with Short Dipole
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 19:53:53 -0500
Hello Guy. You have given me a tremendous amount of excellent information which is awesome. Thank you so much. I will try to build a model in my EZNEC 5.0 (standard NEC-2 engine version) and then submit it to the group to see how close I came to your description& suggestions. At this point I would love to have the EZNEC Pro version running with the NEC-4 engine but that is beyond my financial resources at the moment.

At this point two questions......can you suggest what font I should select in my e-mail program such that your diagram is lined up correctly?  Right now it is badly scattered all over and it is hard for me to visualize and correlate it with your words.

Second question, I understand 100% what you are saying about the feedline as being part of the antenna system from a radiation point of view, and I will be for sure adding several good common mode chokes per Jim's excellent tutorial in the final build but I think at this point or stage I would like to simply use the coax as a means to model the feedpoint and coils together and to see what the connections will look like in the model and the theoretical impedance at the shack end of the coax if the feedline were not part of the radiating element. Once I have that right then I would like to advance to a more final model that takes into account the coax shield etc. Would that be ok with you? I fear this level of modeling may be a little over my head BUT I will give it a try hi-hi.

I realize that in some situations the impedance at the antenna feedpoint can be close to that measured in the shack after the run of coax and a lot depends on the loss of the coax, and the impedance of the antenna, and of the coax, etc, etc.  But again, for right now, at least for this very beginning can we include the coax and it's connections but not treat it like a radiating element, only a connecting element with 50 ohm impedance.

If that is ok then how would that change your instructions you provided to me? Should I proceed with building up the model using the "box with 2 wings" ?

Thanks!

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....