Re: [Antennaware] Help with Short Dipole

Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Help with Short Dipole
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 18:30:28 -0500
Hi Guy. ok now that I have an initial model built correctly I can proceed with my experimentation. You had asked "The next question, what are you trying to accomplish with this? You wanting to put this in the air? Coming up with the coils will be interesting. 1265 ohms X is a lot of wire turns." The simple answer is pure fun mixed with a little science.

In reality I have the property to make a full sized inv-v type dipole for this frequency and suspend it from 85' but I realize even this would be a pure cloud warmer as the antenna is kissing the ground. Your analogy of the 40m antenna is spot on. But I could eliminate the inductors completely if I wanted to. I am doing this out of curiosity. I like to see how reality differs from different models using different models.

Ok, so getting back to this antenna.....I already have the 160m dipole up in the air operating and it is purely curiosity driving me to try this antenna. I know with 100% certainty that I will be going with a vertical radiator fed against some sort of ground but given I like to play with antennas, in particular model them, build them, and actually put them on the air this is only for my personal gratification and my own curiosity.

I should note that the values of "R" for the inductors in my model were 100% guesses on my part before I did any calculations. That was going to be my next question to you. I was wondering if a half-way accurate number for the resistive component could be obtained before the inductors built and measured. I do own a VNA (actually an ENA) from Agilent that may help me get an accurate number but I am wondering how accurate the number would be based on the predicted Q from some of the better Inductor Calculator programs out there.

I have just run several calculations to make a large inductor using a 4.5" dia form and if one can trust the predicted Q at this frequency to be around 400 is it safe to initially use a value of 3.2 ohms for R?

I will of course measure it with the VNA to see how close this number is but is this the value for R that I would use (R derived from XL/Q) ?

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....