Re: [Antennaware] Very Low Dipole

To: antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Very Low Dipole
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 19:11:04 -0400
I wanted to thank everyone who has chipped in with helpful suggestions and advice with the modeling of this 630m short inv-v antenna. I have finished the modeling aspects, built up the prototype, installed it, trimmed it, and have been QRV for 2 nights now. What is amazing to me is that a pair of 146 uH inductors are needed to resonate the antenna and that after building them up over a 3' length of 4" PVC pipe the antenna was only 50 kHz off frequency when initially tested. EZNEC was amazingly accurate in my opinion.

In the end all I had to do is trim the antenna length twice to bring it to resonance right where I needed it to be. The antenna has a 2:1 BW of very close to 7-8 kHz which is what modeling suggests.

On the air reports have been very exciting to gather, esp for an antenna that should not be used by conventional wisdom (and opinions) for this frequency. Running about 20W in the shack, through 300' of RG8-X coax, my estimated EIRP of about 1/2W has been enough to make QSO's all over the country.

Here is a snap shot of the stations who copied my WSPR transmissions last night. I have also decoded transmissions from VK land on night one of testing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/daguxwn4e1a57vr/W8BYA-WSPR-2.jpg?dl=0

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....