Signing portable - yech de WB2EKK/3

Subject: Signing portable - yech de WB2EKK/3
From: pescatore_jt%ncsd.dnet@gte.com (pescatore_jt%ncsd.dnet@gte.com)
Date: Thu Nov 12 12:51:37 1992
I moved to 3 land about they time the FCC stopped giving you a new call
when you moved and stopped requiring you to sign portable. The first few
years in SS were horrible - if I didn't sign /3 I had to give endless repeats
of my section, and if I did sign /3 it essentially increased my horrendously
long callsign by 30 per cent or so.

I actually stopped using my call in SS for several years because it was so
annoying. I know, I know, I could have gotten an AB3B call and avoided the
whole mess but I thought for sure (and still foolishly hope) that the FCC would
come to its senses and realize that a GS 1 with an IBM PC could maintain a
choose-your-own-callsign system. By the way, rumor for Bill WA3LJP, a PVRCer
who works for J. Johnston at the FCC, that Gettysburg was told to start getting
its new ADP system programmed to handle such a program, probably in 1994. We'll
see.

Anyway, I think signing portable is silly, anyway. If you are hunting for
multipliers in SS, and come across me CQing, if you haven't worked me before
you should work me regardless of whether I am a new multiplier or not. Pileups
are so thin is SS anyway.

Of course, I have also been one of those obnoxious stations that used to go
with the twos in by-the-number pileups, and then with the threes if I didn't
get through with the twos. Although, I guess there is now a guideline
specifyingone way or the other.

In element time, WB2EKK/3 is almost as long as K3NA, N6TR, and K6XO
combined! WN4KKN/6 obviously has more dits, and of course explains Trey's
large scores. N6EE ought to be winning everything.

EKK