Questionable multipliers

Subject: Questionable multipliers
From: rhealy@arrl.org (Rus Healy NJ2L)
Date: Thu Dec 3 16:10:36 1992
Tree, N6TR, says:

>If one of these is deemed to be removed from your log, certainly you would
>loose multiplier credit, but I disagree that you should still get the QSO
>points.  You might of worked someone somewhere, but who is to say that you
>didn't copy the call wrong, or that the persone didn't have a license, or
>that he was a dupe??

I differ with this outlook. If you, in good faith, exchanged the
contest exchange with another station, you should get credit for
the QSO points unless: (1) It can be proven to be a dupe or
busted call; or (2) if it falls under some other part of the
contest rules that specify that the QSO is invalid. (For instance,
if your country forbade you from contacting stations in another
specific country and you did so, thus violating the "I operated
my station in accordance with the rules for Amateur Radio in my
country" clause on the summary sheet.) In this case, the station
in question (a P5) just happens to be a rare one that's a
multiplier for everyone he works. In the case of a station
operating from a country that's not recognized by the ARRL DXCC
program, WAE committee or other pertinent multiplier-list-making
entity, the contest committee may have no choice but to disallow
country credit and Zone credit for *everyone* who works that
station. But if they can't demonstrate that the station was, in
fact, unlicensed or a slim, I feel that they are obligated to
give everyone QSO credit based on the contest rules (ie, 1, 2 or
3 points). Conversely, by the reasoning in the first paragraph,
every single QSO for which the other station doesn't submit a log
(a large percentage of any serious participant's QSOs) is also
subject to removal from your log, because there's no way to prove
that you didn't bust the call or that the person you worked didn't
have a license. (Of course, the computer takes care of the dupe
checking.) If QSOs come out of my log for reasons other than
being dupes or proven (checked) busted calls or exchanges, I
get pissed off.

My point is that, just because you work someone who is operating
from a questionable location doesn't mean that you should lose
the QSO points you earned by working the station in good faith,
especially if the continent from which that person operated (since
we're talking about CQ WW) is widely known (or accepted by the
contest committee).

>Since a valid exchange of information did not take place, there was no real
>contact made and you would loose the QSO credit as well.

I believe that a valid information exchange *did* take place if
you worked the station in good faith, exchanged the contest
exchange with him or her, and logged the contact appropriately.

>Also, there would be no penalties assessed, unless it is determined that the
>call you worked was a busted call.

This point seems to be non-controversial.

I guess I should point out that I'm a person who seldom enters a
controversy that I don't think is worth getting worked up about.
This (like most) is one that doesn't warrant getting agitated.
The reason I spoke up on this one is this: All that really matters
to me is that the CQ committee treats *all* the logs, including
those they don't check, exactly the same way. If they decide to
let the P5 multipliers and points slide, or remove them both, or
any combination thereof, that's okay with me. What's important to
me is that *everyone* gets treated the same way.

>BTW, I seem to be a new member of the CQ Contest Committee, so whlie this
>is not an official answer, it is somewhat informed (although I am sure I
>will be more informed as time goes on).

Glad to hear it! The Committee needs new blood, and I, for one,
feel that you're well qualified to serve there. I hope you don't
find yourself buried beyond hope in paperwork! :')

--73, Rus, NJ2L