questionable multipliers

Subject: questionable multipliers
From: sellington@mail.ssec.wisc.edu (sellington)
Date: Thu Dec 3 16:25:18 1992
To: ERIC.L.SCACE@sprintintl.sprint.com

I can see losing the QSO points, without further penalty, if the station
worked is proven to be unlicensed.  But what if I work a licensed operator,
but claim the wrong multiplier?  For example, I might work a GM0, and
mistakenly believe he was in the Shetlands.  In that case, I think I
should still get the QSO credit.  If the GM0 sends in his log, and it
shows I copied his call wrong, I should suffer the penalty.  Now, to
make things more interesting, suppose the GM0 does not send in his
log, but a call very similar appears in several others' logs.  Determining
whether he could possibly have been in the Shetlands shouldn't be too
hard, but should I be penalized for a broken call?  Maybe I copied it
wrong, or maybe everyone else worked GM0ABC but I really did work GM0UBC, who
didn't happen to work anyone else whose logs were checked.   (Not that
my scores are ever high enough to warrant such scrutiny, either.)

Scott   K9MA