Beverage antennas

Subject: Beverage antennas
From: burns (burns)
Date: Thu Jan 7 04:14:25 1993
From:   NAME: Andy Burns
        FUNC: Research and Development
        TEL: 0324 493981                      <BURNS,AL@A1@GRRD04>
To:     "cq-contest@tgv.com"@rcwi01@mrgate@grrd04

de GM0ECO (not Shetland.......thank goodness as its covered with Oil)

Over the christmas break I put together a two wire N/S 500' beverage to
the design given in ON4UN's book. What a difference it makes in hearing
Africa on 80m. My only problem in following the design was putting in the
ground rods. I probably managed around 5' each end before the rocks
defeated me. A few questions:

- ON4UN's book suggests beverages work well over poor ground. Does this
mean I can get away with short ground rods or do I need to put down a
radial running N/S?

- I've heard that running an insulated wire between the two ground posts
will help. This seems to contradict the poor ground theory. Anyone got
any experience of this?

- As the N/S beverage works so well, I must get an E/W one up before
ARRL. Problem is I only have 200' of ground before I'm into the farmer's
field next door. I should be able to run wires to 500' or even 1000'  but
will not be able to put a ground rod down. What's the best solution,
...to run a radial or to run an insulated wire back to either the feed
point ground rod (at the east end of the wire) or to a ground rod at the
west side of my property under the beverage wires?

I'm really only interested in 40 and 80m as I have no problem in hearing
East Coast stations on 160m. My problem on 160m is the East Coast not
hearing me. So if anyone hears a weak GM in ARRL, it's probably me!!

Cheers

Andy
GM0ECO
Burns_al@grrd04.dnet.bp.com