Comments on the 24 hour program

Subject: Comments on the 24 hour program
From: k3lr@telerama.pgh.pa.us (k3lr)
Date: Thu Mar 4 10:22:07 1993
I think some people confused the issue between the Indy 500 and the CQ
WW DX contest.  The major DX contests are the Indy 500 for those who
really enjoy contesting.  Leave the fact that one is professional and
one is amateur aside for the sake of this point.
My point is that the more you water down the catagories, the less
winning means.
How about expanding the PIN program to all ARRL contests?
What ever the added ARRL expense, make it part of the requirement
to receive one.
How about BLUE PINS for 100 qsos, RED PINS for 500 qsos,
SILVER PINS for 1000 qsos and GOLD pins for 2000 qsos.

That way everyone has a shot at something.  If you can only operate
a few hours, you can still win a PIN.

If a 24 hour catagory was adopted, it would just be one more top ten
listing with one overall winner.  Maybe there would be awards by
division or by section, but still a bunch of guys who busted their
hump and still came in 2nd in the Maryland section, 24 hour category.
With the PIN program, everyone can make a goal and hit it.

What do you think?
73,
Tim Duffy K3LR