Eqipment Ergonomics

Subject: Eqipment Ergonomics
From: 72610.1361@CompuServe.COM (TOM TAORMINA)
Date: Mon Mar 8 20:22:31 1993
There have been several mentions of the keyboard as the latest ingredient
of station design. If you want to fatigue in a hurry, place your keyboard
in front of the radio on a standard office desk!

In my work, I spend a lot of time in front of the tube. I couldn't find
any furniture that adapted itself well to my work environment, nor to the
radio environment. I designed a set of shelves for my office which places
the monitor at eye level and the keyboard at a level that encourages me to
sit up straight and breathe properly while working.

I adapted the design to an operating console which places the keyboard and
key paddle just below the radio shelf (see the picture in March QST). I
built 3 more for the K5XI station and they worked out well for those who
sat in front of them for extended periods during the ARRL Phone weekend. I
noticed the operators sitting at the conventional operating positions were
up and down frequently. One even operated standing up part of the time.

I also have a high quality chair that discourages slouching. Using a
kitchen chair for a contest will put you on the pain pills for a few days
after a contest!

Anyone who wants to experiment building a console, I'll send you my hand
drawn plans for an SASE. No guarantees, just one approach before we arrive
at virtual contesting.

73 and DX,
Tom, K5RC