How's your set?

Subject: How's your set?
From: FOXG@WCSUB.CTSTATEU.EDU (FOXG@WCSUB.CTSTATEU.EDU)
Date: Mon Mar 15 03:25:51 1993
I was in the middle of a QSO on 40 tonight when the other station
(W0MHS/4) started giving me advice on how to set my Bencher.  He said
for all keys from a pump to a paddle, get a matchbook and use it to set
the distance to the contact.  My had been set at approximately a micron
and a quarter so this is a radical change.  I'm sure it won't help my
sloppy fist, which is brain induced... but it's worth a try.
I've never seen a reference to how the contacts should be spaced?  Any
thoughts on this?  Maybe it'll take youyr minds off the 24 hour
contesting flame.

BTW, W0HMS/4 was using a hacksaw blade homebrew paddle.

73, Geoff WA1U