Keyboard contesting

Subject: Keyboard contesting
From: n6tv@vnet.ibm.com (Robert A. Wilson)
Date: Wed Mar 10 00:17:13 1993
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Ekletech Remote Frequency
Encoder (see ads in the NCJ).  It makes keyboard contesting a
real pleasure.  The new model is much better than the one
originally reviewed in the NCJ.  I bought two (one for each rig).

Basically, the Encoder is a large outboard tuning knob.  Most
important, the new model has a toggle that switches the knob
between tuning and RIT modes.  In RIT mode, your transmit (e.g.,
CQing) frequency is locked.  At last, a decent sized RIT knob, and it
sits right by the keyboard!  An "RIT clear" pushbutton is right there
too.  Having the tuning knob, RIT, and RIT clear controls sitting
right next to the keyboard really reduces fatigue.  The radio mods are
no big deal.  The unit seems completely insensitive to RF.  Even 1.5
kilowatts on 160m 10 feet away doesn't bother it a bit.

Until manufacturers get smart and start including full sized remote
RIT/tuning knobs as a standard option, the Ekletech units are a great
way to go if you have a TS-930S or TS-940S.  Order from Ekletech, 375
Uthe Ln., St. Louis, MO 63033 USA, or call (314) 355-0705.

73,
Bob, N6TV