W9UP (KA9FOX) QRP SS

Subject: W9UP (KA9FOX) QRP SS
From: ka9fox@aol.com (ka9fox@aol.com)
Date: Fri Nov 12 11:25:17 1993
Hello all... just another CW SS war story:

This is the third year in a row I have operated QRP CW SS - all three years
at W9UP.  I originally chose the category because of my lack of 'contest code
copying' ability.  While I admit my code has lots of room for improvement, I
chose QRP CW this year just
 'cause it's fun!!!

I've been using two rigs, but this is the first time I've ever used two
computers.  It was too frustrating to find a new station on the S&P radio,
have his call on the log
ging line, then right before I'd work him, I'd get an answer to my CQ on the
run radio and have to quickly wipe the other call off the logging line!  BTW,
my old laptop really choked on Super Check Partial while S&Ping - I wish this
was an option instead of being mandatory! (can you relay this Jim?)

I was sweating bullets the whole contest, as I worked many other QRP stations
in the first half of the contest with higher scores than I... especially
working W9RE - in the same division as me, and with a bigger
 Q total.  Don't know how I managed an unofficial 3rd place.  Sunday musta
been good to me!

I has so much fun, I'll probably be QRP in SSB SS.

73!  Scott KA9FOX (@ W9UP)    ka9fox@aol.com

                     ARRL SWEEPSTAKES 1993

      Call: W9UP (KA9FOX op)          Section: Wisconsin
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Op, QRP

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS   SECTIONS

      160        0        0        -
       80      141      282        -
       40      349      698        -
       20      242      484        -
       15       56      112        -
       10        0        0        -
     -----------------------------------

     Totals    788     1576       76

               Score:  119,776

Power Output: 5 watts     Hours of operation: 24

Equipment Description:
   Rigs:  IC-751 @ 5 watts
          TS-930 @ 5 watts

   Ants:  Tribander for 10-20 mtrs (rarely used)
          17 meter Lazy H with tuner for 20 mtrs
          Dipole, 5/8 wave wire vert for 40 mtrs
          160 meter sloping loop with tuner for 40 & 80 meters

Building:  No refrigerator, no microwave, no bed, NO BATHROOM!!!