Dual-Driven DissimilarAntennas

Subject: Dual-Driven DissimilarAntennas
From: Ken_Silverman_at_Wiget_Lane@atlas.ccmail.PacTel.COM (Ken_Silverman_at_Wiget_Lane@atlas.ccmail.PacTel.COM)
Date: Fri Nov 12 15:22:45 1993
Hmm...  I did not resend this messge!  Sorry for the bandwidth.

Ken, WM2C

From: Trey Garlough <GARLOUGH@TGV.COM> (Trey Garlough)

> Hmm...  I did not resend this messge!  Sorry for the bandwidth.

Yep.  My machine crashed while it was processing your message the
other day.  I went through trying to clean up things today and caused
a few messages to get resent.

I'm copying this message back to the list so that everyone gets the
word.

--Trey, WN4KKN

From: Robert A. Wilson" <n6tv@vnet.IBM.COM (Robert A. Wilson)
Subject: Dual Receive radios

Is there any rig on the market (FT-1000D, TS-950SDX, IC-781, or ?)
that can listen on one band while transmitting on another?  If the rig
mutes the 2nd receiver during transmit, that's no good.  I want the
capability to CQ on one band while tuning on another (with a separate
antenna).  I'm using two old TS-930Ss with ICE bandpass filters to do
this now.  I'm trying to find a more modern "one box" solution.

Some of these rigs offer so-called "band pass" units.  What do they
do?

73,
Bob, N6TV

On Fri, 12 Nov 1993, Robert A. Wilson wrote:

> Is there any rig on the market (FT-1000D, TS-950SDX, IC-781, or ?)
> that can listen on one band while transmitting on another?  If the rig
> mutes the 2nd receiver during transmit, that's no good.  I want the
> capability to CQ on one band while tuning on another (with a separate
> antenna).  I'm using two old TS-930Ss with ICE bandpass filters to do
> this now.  I'm trying to find a more modern "one box" solution.

Given the price and the compromises of the "modern" solutions, it is
easier, cheaper and better to stick with two radios.  Newer technology,
while smaller, isn't always better!

Randy, K5ZD

From: Randy A Thompson <K5ZD@world.std.com> (Randy A Thompson)
Subject: CQWW Phone Score - K5ZD

Not sure this made it completely the first time, sorry.

                   CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST  1993

      Call: K5ZD                     Country:  United States
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator

      160       34       70     2.06     10      20
       80      232      639     2.75     19      73
       40      254      725     2.85     26      79
       20      774     2240     2.89     37     125
       15      928     2730     2.94     32     119
       10      561     1625     2.90     27     108
     Totals   2783     8029     2.89    151     524  =>  5,419,575

Just testing the new station and location.  Every available moment from
May 1 to October 28 was spent cutting down trees and building a radio
station.  I probably spent more time cutting trees than station building
but that's another story.

This contest makes me glad I moved to New England.  The contest sure is
easier from here - especially on the low bands.  Had a 72 hour the first
night on 75 meters calling CQ listening down!

Rode 15m very hard the first day.  Great 20m opening to JA on Saturday
afternoon (over 250 JA's in 20m log).  It was fantastic to hear 10 bust
wide open Sunday morning - saving me the battle of holding a frequency
on an over crowded 15 meters.

Station was IC-765 with Alpha 76.  Antennas: 160 1/4-wave sloper;
80m Inverted Vee; 40m Cushcraft 40-2CD @ 110'; 20m 205CA @ 100';
15m and 10m TH7DXX at 70'.

Looking forward to WW CW.

73 - Randy