University club stations

Subject: University club stations
From: 00pmbarkey@leo.bsuvc.bsu.edu (00pmbarkey@leo.bsuvc.bsu.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 21 09:59:54 1993
University club stations are no longer hotbeds of ham radio contest
activity.  I don't know whether this is because (a) no young people
are going into ham radio anymore, (b) the changing economics of
competitive contesting has made it impossible for University stations
to compete, or (c) the RFI problem has virtually shut these stations
down.

Question for trivia buffs:

  (1) When was the last time a University club station placed in the
      top ten in single op/all band CQWW, ARRL DX or SS?

  (2) What is the highest a University club station has ever finished
      in a major contest (e.g., one of the above)?

   -- Pat
      WA8YVR

(alum of W8UM -- U. Mich.)