5NN

Subject: 5NN
From: ames@force.DECNET.LOCKHEED.COM (ames@force.DECNET.LOCKHEED.COM)
Date: Wed Feb 23 12:25:44 1994
Regarding the comment by AA5BT, Derek:
To me, the 5nn is just something that says "start listening, I
am about to send you my power/zone/whatever".  I have given
a 595 on occasion to someone whose rig was deteriorating at
the end of a contest, but I'm sure it's written down as 599.

It's a bit late to comment, but there is a lot of truth to his statement
I think many of us would admit.  My own rates are down in the mud, and
perhaps I could better spend those few monments reading a newspaper or
my band plan?  Yet, this should be irrelavant.  Perhaps if we could work
at 40 wpm his statement would not apply.  Slowing down to change every QSO
to a 578 or whatever could easily slow one's rate by 50 percent.  I still
don't see the advantage to giving anything other than a 59(9)?  But it is
upsetting to be a low power operator trying to get thru a pileup when the
RST is being debated.  Everyone has the option of giving what the believe
the RST as received actually is, and that's what we have to accept.  We also
have a right to give an RST of 59(9).  I haven't worked this out, but
it may be quicker to save that "offbeat" RST as a Note (ALT-N) rather
than adjust the default 599.  I think the "purist" are a minority, and
I doubt if anyone really cares.

73, alan N2ALE/6