CQWW vs ARRL DX

Subject: CQWW vs ARRL DX
From: N8ET@delphi.com (N8ET@delphi.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 13:00:13 1994
As G4BUO mentioned  - this list has a majority of subscribers from the US -
so I thought I would put in my two cents worth based on the 5 years I spent
living in the UK ('78 - '83).

The ARRL DX contests were attractive because as Dave mentions, you could put
up some very good wire arrays pointed at the states and be very loud. I can
remember doing this with a group at Appleton Labs (G3UKS es co.) one year (we
were so loud on 80 that some commerical coastal station came up into the ham
band and asked us to back off....), and EI9CB had a 5 ele wire beam for 75
pointed at the US.

The Planning regulations (translate - zoning) in the UK are much stricter,
so in a lot of cases the antennas can not be put up permanently. Fixed wire
antennas are a lot easier to use under those conditions. I used to put up my
tower and antennas Friday night after I got home from work, operate the test
over the weekend, and then take them down again Sunday after it was all
over...

Keep the ARRL test as is , and keep CQWW as is also....

73 - Bill - N8ET  (ex - G5CMX,  EI6DR)