Why contest?

Subject: Why contest?
From: WR3O@isd2.tdec.state.tn.us (WR3O@isd2.tdec.state.tn.us)
Date: Mon Feb 28 15:00:59 1994
The following is an article I wrote for our local DX club newsletter.
I know most of you are hard-core experienced contesters, and might
consider this a waste of bandwidth.  However, I suspect that I am not
the only beginner here, and will post it anyway :-).

Contesting.  The word probably evokes some kind of feeling in every
amateur. Be fore I started DX'ing, I thought contests were nothing
more than a nuisance.  I complained about this ridiculous aspect of
the hobby, and never even stopped to wonder what the fuss was all about.
I'd see the articles in QST & CQ about contest rules and contest results,
and usually just skip over them.  Nothing there to interest me, I
figured.  Later on in my ham career, I got into DX'ing.  Contests, in
particular -- DX contests, suddenly started to have a new meaning to me.
I quickly learned that DX contests were a great opportunity to work a
lot of countries and band countries in a short period of time.  I started
to pay attention to the dates for the CQ WW and ARRL DX contests, because
I knew these would provide some great opportunities to increase my country
totals.  I was grateful that all these "contesters" went to such lengths
to activate places and hand out as many QSO's as possible, but I still had
no idea why they would want to do such a thing.  This contesting thing
still made no sense to me.  Then a funny thing happened. I subscribed to
the National Contest Journal (NCJ) and started to read  it.   I started to
read the CQ-CONTEST reflector on the Internet.  Before I knew what was
happening, I wanted to actually try really operating a contest to see what
it was like.  The timing was right -- the CQ WW CW 160 meter  contest was
right around the corner.  My favorite band and favorite mode combined!
Plus, a single band effort sounded like a good way to get my 'feet wet'
with contesting - fewer decisions to make, etc.  I had participated in
the 160 meter CW contests for a few years, but had never actually tried
a full effort or calculated any kind of score.  This time I was going to
give it a real effort.  With lots of help & consulting from a local
contester (thanks Billy), I was set up to try computer logging and
computer generated CW. OK, I was ready to jump in and see what kind of
score I could make from super-station WR3O  (500 watts and an inverted Vee
at 85 feet).  Well, I learned many things.  The most amazing thing I
learned was that contesting is SERIOUS FUN!  It was exciting, exhausting,
exhilarating, frustrating, thrilling, at times boring (Sunday morning)
but most of all  Major FUN!  I learned a lot about my station and it's
limitations on Top Band.  I learned a lot about my station's layout and
efficiency.  It motivated me to make several changes at WR3O -- some
simple and quick, others will take more time and effort.  I am just
beginning to scratch the surface, but I can tell that contests are an
incredible opportunity to  learn a great deal about a lot of things.
One thing is for sure - the word 'contesting' has a whole new meaning
to me now.  I am beginning to understand what the fuss is all about.
Jump in there and give it a try!  You have nothing to lose and possibly
a great deal to gain.  I look forward to working you in the next contest!

73, Kirk  WR3O   ( WR3O@isd2.tdec.state.tn.us )