EME/HF weekend

Subject: EME/HF weekend
From: kl7ra@icefog.gcgo.nasa.gov (Gilmore Creek Geophysical Observatory)
Date: Mon Apr 4 18:59:42 1994
Comments about the EME contest and the CQ WW conflict.
  As a hf contester and EME'r it is possible to operate both
contests. You just have to adjust your WW category to your moon
time. About 8 or 9 years ago when the EME test collided with the
World Wide CW I operated both. I had waited all year for the EME
test and was eager to work new stations with good moon conditions.
As in HF, a radio contest brings out a lot of activity on the moon
and the EME contest weekend is selected for quite sky and a close
northern moon. Also because I hadn't missed a WWCW since 1964 I
wanted to enter that test. Our moon time was early morning to late
afternoon. I went single band 40 meters to operate thru the night
in the WW and then EME thru the day. Honest--at times you could not
tell 432 MHz from 7 with the QRM and very loud signals. Now if the
EME station owners would only let some real contesters guest op!
Going from 40 wpm to 5 wpm when the signals are strong drives you
nuts not to mention the infuriating delay time after each
transmission.
  KL7RA  Rich