IRQ's

Subject: IRQ's
From: km9p@aol.com (km9p@aol.com)
Date: Thu Apr 7 19:18:44 1994
>From AA2DU:
>Unfortunately, you cannot use the same IRQ for 2 devices simultaneously
>on an ISA board.

This needs some clarification.  Two devices can share IRQ's if one of the
devices is not polling the IRQ in the first place.  Case in point:  Your
printer ports use IRQ-5 or IRQ-7.  But since you are NORMALLY never receiving
data on a printer port, you can use IRQ-5 or IRQ-7 for your serial ports!
This is what I have done with all of my computers and have had no problems.
For the record, I sell computer hardware to computer dealers, and IRQ's are
the least understood animal by so-called computer experts!

Another note:  We used to sell generic serial cards (2 ports) that only
supported IRQ-3 and IRQ-4.  With some help from the expert in Harvard, MA, I
simply cut the trace on the board that went to IRQ-3 and IRQ-4 and jumpered
them to 5 and 7.  It's very easy if you know which ones are which on an AT
bus.  You can find that information at any book store.

73

Bill Fisher