Com Ports

Subject: Com Ports
From: kr2j@aol.com (kr2j@aol.com)
Date: Fri Apr 8 17:26:07 1994
There are plenty of affordable imported "multi I/O" boards available in the
under $30 range. These boards usually have 2 serial ports and a parallel port
as well as a game port (joystick).  At the least, you'll get one or two
additional serial ports and another printer port for a very nominal cost.
Look for the ones that will allow selection of other than IRQ 3 and 4 for the
serial ports and will also allow selecting any comport number 1 to 4 with
various addresses.   IRQ 2 (com 3) and IRQ 5 (com 4) are the "oddball" ones
that CT (both ver 7 & 8) would support.  As someone else said, IRQ 2 is
probably not available due to cascading of the IRQ's 9 and up.  I have found
boards like this in Dayton for $16. "Sharing" IRQ5 with your printer port is
ok under DOS, but with OS/2, neither will work properly.
73,
Bob Naumann  KR2J@aol.com