Grid Squares in HF Contesting

Subject: Grid Squares in HF Contesting
From: aa2du@netcom.com (aa2du@netcom.com)
Date: Fri Jul 29 05:06:30 1994
Walt, I am completely opposed to eliminating the 2 meeting per year
requirement. There is no

reason to belong to a "club" and not make the minimum effort to attend 2
meetings a year. If

the effort is not worth it to you, then don't join a club at all. What would be
the point of

having a "club" that only exists on paper and never meets in person?

There is more to contesting than turning in a score for your affiliation. Part
of the allure

for me is the social aspect of meeting with and talking to my fellow contester
at club

meetings. It is a great way to learn new things and exchange ideas. If you do
away with

meeting requirements, then you must also accept the fact that club competition
will disappear

as well. If people don't feel they need to make an effort, the whole thing
becomes worthless

and a waste of time altogether. The feeling of achievement that goes  along
succeeding in a

contest is made that much more sweet when you're able to share it with others
who understand

it. By eliminating the opportunities for such activity, you have taken away a
great part of

the fun in contesting. Just think, who will listen to you complain about being
beaten in the

CQWW SSB by a GASSER (insert other phrase of choice here)?

73, J.P.
>K1ZX writes:
>
>>...how about using grid squares as basis for defining club territories?
>

>My opinion on two things germane to his polemic:
>
>1) Do away with th 175 mi. rule. We are a global community, aren't we.
>
>2) Do away with the 2 meetings per year rule/quota. If you do #2, then
>   #1 would be moot.
>
>Anyone else (dis)agree?

>73 de Walt Kornienko  -   K2WK  Internet:  waltk@pica.army.mil
>DX PacketCluster:  K2WK > W3MM  (FRC) Packet: K2WK@N2ERH.NJ.USA.NOAM
>"My mother was of the sky,      My father was of the earth,
> But I'am of the universe,      And you know what that is worth." - J.Lennon

J.P. Kleinhaus, AA2DU
ARRL Hudson Division C.A.C. Representative
E-mail:  aa2du@netcom.com
             aa2du@aa2du.slip.netcom.com
             kleinhaj@iia.org
Compu$erve:  74660,2606