JOSLYN SURGE ARRESTER ADDRESS

Subject: JOSLYN SURGE ARRESTER ADDRESS
From: EDWOODS@PACTIME1.SDCRC.PacBell.COM (EDWOODS@PACTIME1.SDCRC.PacBell.COM)
Date: Thu Aug 25 09:19:31 1994
OK GUYS:

The complete name of the company is:

        Joslyn Electronic Systems Corporation
        Building N-1, Sppokane Industrial Park
        Spokane, Wa 99216
        (509) 922-0483
        (509) 922-0686 fax
The catalog I have lists a 3 wire, 120,240 volt, 120 volts each line to
neutral model 1250-33.

specs:  Surge current:  10,000 to 20,000 amps on lightning waveform
                        of 8 to 20 microseconds rise time (this is
                        a pretty close spec to nominal 50% probability
                        lightning waveform and current)

        Life expectancy: heavy duty units 2000 operations of 10,000 amps
                         no mention of life of medium duty units, but
                         I'm sure its sufficient

        Load Rating:     Unlimited (these things are in parallel with AC
                         line so no current flow except during, you
                         know)

We have used these things in our outdoor electronics for years, I've
only seen 1 go and that was when a 60 kv conductor dropped on a 12 kv
conductor which supplied power to a transformer that fed our stuff.  The
arrester smoked, the electronics didn't.

Make sure your power service entrance has a good ground and that the
ground is bonded to the neutral bus in the box.  Oh yeah, if you don't
have room in the box, some models of arresters are weatherproof and can
mount on the outside of the box, leads pointing in.

Water pipe ground is not sufficient unless you can assure yourself that
at least 20 feet of metal pipe in soil is available.

The two most used answers by your friendly electrical protection
engineer here in Sacratomatoe are: NO and GROUND IT.

Hope this helps,
Eric NV6O
edwoods@pacbell.com