packet & WRTC teams

Subject: packet & WRTC teams
From: DEVANS@lynx.colorado.edu (DEVANS@lynx.colorado.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 25 00:30:38 1994
>Internal radiophysics.com LAN RFC 822 headers
>From evans Wed Aug 24 16:13:40 1994
>From: evans
>To: <interput>"in%""cq-contest@tgv.com"""
>Subject: RE: packet & WRTC teams

Wading through the 500+ messages that came in while I was on vacation,
I find:

>The US operators will have enough advantages as it is.
>
>What about the guys coming from around the world ?
>Think they are skilled at packet ? Ever seen packet ?
>Or, for that matter,  real-time computer logging, "which is required".

I believe that by far the biggest handicap (not to belittle Jeff's
post at all) is going to be the unfamiliarity with conditions for
any team members who have not operated much from the contest area.

I have lived in Colorado for 15 years; yet still I have to think
about the openings here. On the other hand, I think I can still
remember with relatively little effort all the likely openings from
Cornwall, England, where I did the bulk of my day-in day-out
(as opposed to contest) operating when I was in high school and
college.

I would be interested in comments from those who participated in
the 1990 WRTC whether they felt that familiarity with local
openings was actually a factor. How about the fact that all
the stations were not really equal? (How could they be?)

  Doc  NQ0I