too much faith in their computers

Subject: too much faith in their computers
From: ames@force.DECNET.LOCKHEED.COM (ames@force.DECNET.LOCKHEED.COM)
Date: Tue Aug 30 10:37:16 1994
Bill, KM9P, raises an interesting point on antenna design, and the
use of computer simulation. I'm no expert on antennas, but I did take
one course in grad school and expect to install Wires/NEC in my laptop.
However, the bread and butter of my employment fot the past 20+ years
has been in optical design/engineering which is done alomst exclusively
thru computer modeling on the other end of the E-M spectrum.  I that
- In that realm, there are many softwrae packages at varying levels of
complexity which model different facets of the phemonia differently.
It is not uncommon to find inexperienced "technical" people redefining
the lwas of physics based on their findings on some computer program.
If left unchecked, the world would be filled with multitudes of hardware
that does not work what-so-ever.
In the realm where I work, it is not uncommon to have other people duplicate
one's finding on "other" software packages.  It is not uncommon to even
have to write your own software to model unigue configurations. It is not
uncommon to place NO FAITH in the results of any computer output unless
one understand what the code is modeling, and what it's limitations are.
The first test of a computer model is not in the the fabricated hardware,
but rather a basic SANITY CHECK by other "experts". Without this, we only
have a hypothesis.
73, alan N2ALE/6
aka ames@force.decnet.lockheed.com