Cheating & "s/o unassisted"

Subject: Cheating & "s/o unassisted"
From: /G=LAWLEYD/S=LAWLEY/PRMD=IBMMAIL/ADMD=IBMX400/C=GB/@mhs-relay.ac.uk (/G=LAWLEYD/S=LAWLEY/PRMD=IBMMAIL/ADMD=IBMX400/C=GB/@mhs-relay.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 23 18:53:44 1994

Here we go again.

Jeff, WA2SYN writes:

>............................. There is NO reason why a single op should NOT
>be allowed to use packet in his efforts. After all, he is STILL a single
>solitary operator, without logging or duping assistance.

(other hyperbolae deleted)

I have good packet connections, and I use cluster to good effect from G0KPW
multi-multi. However, from home I choose to operate single op, not multi op.
Jeff and some others assert that packet is just another technical advance
like keyers and no-tune amps, but there is in fact a crucial difference:
packet provides for other ops to contribute to your operation in real-time.
So it is not ordinary single op. Before the introduction of the s/o assisted
category, there would have been no question that if I operated with someone
sitting in the shack tuning a rx and passing multiplier info on bits of
paper, that would have been considered multi-op. So why should a setup
where the entire cluster community can pass me mults be considered ordinary
single-op?

The right move was to introduce two classes. The sponsors considered the
distinction between assisted and unassisted sufficiently important to create
two classes. Then you have the CHOICE as to which one suits your conception
of single op. Attempting to hold unassisted ops up to ridicule as Jeff does
and seeking to move us all towards a packet assisted class because a very few
people cheat, is to deny the important difference between the two classes.
Perhaps if the new class had been called multi-op limited, we might view
it differently. As Jeff says, packet assisted ops can weigh their performance
against the great multi-op efforts.

Packet has been around for some time now, yet the great majority of CQ WW
entrants still enter unassisted, even in areas where packet connections are
excellent. If the majority prefer to enter the unassisted class, you are
doing them a disservice by suggesting it should be merged with the
assisted class.

Dave G4BUO