EWE Antennas

Subject: EWE Antennas
From: JFSINGER@delphi.com (JFSINGER@delphi.com)
Date: Thu Feb 2 00:11:11 1995
The February QST contains an article about a new type of low band receiving
antenna called the EWE. It covers several MHZ (say 80 and 160!), is highly
directional, and is small. After reading the article (by WA2WVL) I wondered
if it was some kind of gag. Moreover, the EWE is low profile and can be built
for a few dollars. I would also think that if the EWE is as good as claimed
it is certain proof there is a God.
     In appearance, the EWE resembles a very short Beverage, though the
theory of operation is like that of a two element phased vertical array. The
horizontal wire is only about 10 meters long and is about 3 meters above
ground. In other words, they'll fit in a tiny yard. Several can be phased
for additional directivity.
     So, whats the truth about EWEs? What do you EEs think about them.
I realize a lot of you guys who farm wheat won't be thrilled about sharing
160 meter zone 26 contacts with the rest of us.
                         Jeff K0OD jfsinger@delphi.com