di-di-dah-dah-di-dit

Subject: di-di-dah-dah-di-dit
From: bcoleman@hayes.com (bcoleman@hayes.com)
Date: Mon Feb 27 11:51:25 1995
>From: WJ2O@aol.com
>
>Have you ever tried (di-di-dah-dah-di-dit) . . . have you ever tried to have
>a (di-di-dah-dah-di-dit) . . . have a conversat (di-di-dah-dah-di-dit) . . .
>have a conversation and (di-di-dah-dah-di-dit) . . . and powerful multi-multi
>(di-di-dah-dah-di-dit) . . . powerful multi-multi stations
>(di-di-dah-dah-di-dit) . . . stations keep sending di-di-dah-dah-di-dit?

Such behavior is clearly rude, inconsiderate QRM.

>I agree with Larry, K3TLX.  When I have more than 3 stations calling me, I
>don't ID every time.  I will go every 2 to 3 depending on the size and
>managibility of the pile-up.  Even if I go 3 QSOs without ID'ing, that would
>only be during a situation where I'm working 3 to 4 a minute anyway therefore
>I'm still ID'ing once a minute?

And that means a minute someone on the other end has wasted waiting for you
to sign.

>When a pile-up occurs, I want to get everyone in my log as fast as possible.

Agreed. That's the entire objective. You want it, and everyone else in the
pile-up wants it.

> If I were to ID every time I believe my pile-up would get discouraged and
>(God forbid) move on.

If you do NOT ID often, people in your pile-up will get discouraged and move
on. Trust me. I spend nearly all of my time in contest S & Ping. If I want to
maximize my score, I can't spend too much time waiting around for someone to
ID, especially if they may be a dupe.

>Also, I believe my somewhat unique exchange that I've used in this contest
>for the past 4 years 5NN NN, helps to identify who I am.

Since I work mainly phone contests, I don't see how this will help me....
Perhaps the people in your pileup weren't licensed last year. Perhaps they
don't
have a good enough memory to realise that one out of hundreds of QSO's used
this unique exchange. Perhaps someone else started copying your technique.

--

Bottom line, sign your call at every opportunity, or be prepared to log a lot
of dupes.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR                ! Internet: bcoleman@hayes.com
Principal Software Engineer        ! CIS: 76067,2327
Hayes Microcomputer Products, Inc. ! Disclaimer:   My employer doesn't pay me
POB 105203 Atlanta, GA 30348 USA   !                   to have opinions.
Quote: "The same light shines on vineyards that makes deserts." -Steve Hackett.