Clearing the Frequency

Subject: Clearing the Frequency
From: Waltk@PICA.ARMY.MIL (Waltk@PICA.ARMY.MIL)
Date: Wed Mar 1 10:56:08 1995
During the ARRL DX CW contest I had an interesting experience
with a certain multi station from The Slovak Republic, which I
won't name. I set up camp abt 1 khZ from him and could exist
quite comfortably and maintain a nice rate. But, he couldn't.
So, guess what he did?  He started sending MCW, that is he threw
the rig into SSB and modulated it with a tone of some sort.
Well, that generated sidebands that were audible plus or minus
one to two kHZ from his center frequecny.  This was not my imagination,
nor some defect with my RX.  He would alternate from pure CW to
MCW depending on what I was doing to his rate.

Has anyone else confronted such frequency clearing tactics?

73 de Walt Kornienko  -   K2WK          Internet:   waltk@pica.army.mil
DX PacketCluster:  K2WK > W3MM (FRC)    Packet:  K2WK@N2ERH.NJ.USA.NOAM