K8DO -> WPXSSB95 Score

Subject: K8DO -> WPXSSB95 Score
From: wb2k@ritz.mordor.com (John A. Ross, IV)
Date: Sat Apr 1 03:39:55 1995
 K8DO wrote:
>DISTORTED AUDIO - overcompressed/overdriven rigs/amps
>A number were 5 to 7KC. wide
>A couple were splattering 20KC
>One station was so distorted I never got the call
>We should append 'A' to the logged RS(T) for bad audio.  Any station getting
> >1%  'A'  reports should have a score reduction.

I don't mean to start a negative thread, but this is something that has
bothered me for some time in phone contests. I'm not talking about the
casual op who  mistakenly overdrives, but rather the experienced
competitive stations who purposely operate in "all knobs max" mode in order
to clear a swath of bandwitdth for themselves. I've heard many folks
politely try inform them of this and are ignored, or presented with
something akin to "OK Thanks...We'll fix it later<smirk>...QRZ!"

Basically there is no incentive to have a clean signal. In fact, in the
eyes of these folks, it's counter productive.
Wide signal = Less QRM = Bigger Score.

What K8DO proposed could potentially be very effective. If an op gives you
a 59A you KNOW something's wrong, and that there are possible consequences
if it is ignored. By setting a percentage level before score reduction
takes place, you avoid the possibilty of "vindictive" reports unfairly
hurting your score. True, you could simply ignore the 59A and log it as
59, but the other guy has logged it as a 59A, and if you don't, it should
be considered the same as a busted Q.

Like I said, I'm looking at this a potential POSITIVE influence. I don't
want to start a finger-pointing barrage of accusations and examples.

It's simple, potentially very effective, and would increase the "pleasure
factor" of operating. It also follows in our history of self-policing.

Your thoughts?

73, John - WB2K
John A. Ross, IV  - WB2K / VE2TJA [Zone 2]    (wb2k@ritz.mordor.com)
Contest DXpedition Registry ------------> http://www.mordor.com/wb2k