unsubscribe

From: AL7CQ@aol.com (AL7CQ@aol.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 22:22:38 1995
unsubscribe

From: oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu (Derek Wills) (Derek Wills)
Subject: Bouvet Split Technique

        >> I wondered about the ethics of this practice. Unless you
        >> figured out what they were doing, you had zero chance of
        >>working them.     Jeff K0OD

It seems fair that those who figure out what the DX station is
doing should have priority over those who don't know or care, no?

Derek AA5BT, G3NMX
oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu

From: wicall@ccpac.ims.disa.mil (Lee Wical) (Lee Wical)
Subject: No subject

     unsubscribe

From: Jack Fleming <oolon@eskimo.com> (Jack Fleming)

On Mon, 17 Apr 1995 JFSINGER@delphi.com wrote:

> >My favorite trick is something I heard F2CW doing on one of those crazy
> >trips like 3Y0PI.  Perhaps it had been done before, but it was my first
> >time to hear it.  At the end of every fifth QSO or so he would say
>
> >        3Y0PI UP 2  S I X T Y  T H R E E
>
> >and while all the lids were calling UP 2, you could get him on the first
> >or second call on 063.  And if too many people found him on 063, he
> >would listen on some other frequency, like S E V E N T Y  T W O.
>
> > --Trey, WN4KKN/6
>
> I heard the Bouvet ops doing this on 10 meter CW back in 1990.  They were on
> 28.005 or so, with a massive pileup that extended beyond 28.070. I called
> them for an hour and never heard one station they worked. Then I heard them
> send "87" at about 45 wpm. What did that mean? I called them once or twice
> on 28.087 and put them in the log.
>      I listened to them fish out the few stations calling them on '87, and
> they again called out a frequency that was far from the core of the pileup.
>    I wondered about the ethics of this practice. Unless you figured out what
> they were doing, you had zero chance of working them.
>                          Jeff K0OD   jfsinger@delphi.com

Another trick that has been used is to mention a French Department (or
whatever their administrative districts are called).  Each one has a
separate postal code number.  When they mention a name (often in French) it
is a clue to those who know the French postal code system to listen on the
frequency that matches the postal code for that Department...

It pays to stay alert...

Jack Fleming, WA0RJY ex-CN2JF ex-CT1/WA0RJY   oolon@eskimo.com
Seattle, WA   http://www.eskimo.com/~oolon/   DON'T PANIC!