unsubscribe

From: Rcadair@aol.com (Rcadair@aol.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 10:02:31 1995

>From James B. Wolf D611 x4638 MS25-71" <jbwolf@most.magec.com  Tue Apr 18
>14:39:35 1995
From: James B. Wolf D611 x4638 MS25-71" <jbwolf@most.magec.com (James B. Wolf
D611 x4638 MS25-71)
Subject: Rotor shafts

Name:   James B. Wolf D611 x4638 MS25-71
From:   MOST::MRGATE::"MRS::SN_L=HOSTNODE::SN_U=JBWOLF"
To:     MOST::INTERNET
Subj:   Re: Rotor shafts

From:   NAME: Wolf,James B    <SN_U=JBWOLF@SN_L=HOSTNODE@MRS@MOST>
To:     NAME: INTERNET.MAGNAVOX <INTERNET@MOST@MRGATE@MOST>

DATE : April 18, 1995
TO   : MAGNAVOX INTERNET
FROM : James B Wolf
SUBJECT : Re: Rotor shafts

smtp%"cq-contest@tgv.com"
With out any technical analysis, Dave, W6QHS, is correct.
My HDR-300 had destroyed itself where the keys are suppose
to keep the shaft and everything that is connected to it from
turning.
My final fix was to get a torque-lock, a contraption that has a
key in it but clamps itself completely around the shaft tightly.
I have also heard these called Q-locks.  The torque-lock was
welded to the bottom of the platform, the origional platform
is above the shaft and the torq-lock is the connection to the
rotor shaft.  Inside, the large gear was welded directly to
shaft. kind of a delicate operation but it can be done.
K9UWA did the welding, you would have to ask him exactly
what materials he used. He is on this reflector.
Its great not to cringe every time I see the antennas swinging in
the wind.
The load on the HDR-300 is:
TH6DXX @ 100'
2 el Cushcraft 40-2CD @ 116'
20 el 432 ant @ 130 Ft
Two, 30' 2 meter antennas laced between all the above.
The rotor is mounted at the 57' level with about 30' of
2" mast,which is my "shock-absorber" between the
antennas and the rotor. With two perfectly installed
4" bearings to hold the mast, there is no friction between
the mast and tower. Therefore, it seems the array is constantly
turning with the wind.

James Wolf, KR9U
jbwolf@most.magec.com

Take it away Dave.