Young Blood/FD

Subject: Young Blood/FD
From: KR2J@aol.com (KR2J@aol.com)
Date: Tue May 23 10:56:01 1995
>>> So why have the big contest clubs never "done" Field Day?
<<<

I additon to the PVRC FD efforts, YCCC and the now defunct "WIN" groups got
together back in the late 70's and did several big FD operations using W2RQ's
call.  I believe several FRC members participated in these as well.

Some callsigns of operators in these efforts:
N2NT, W2RQ, WA2SRQ, W2SQ, K2BMI, W2REH, W2AZO, WB1GQR, W2YV, K2OY, W2YX,
K2TR, K1ZM, K2SS, K1DG, K1AR, KQ2M, K2SX, K1EB, W2GD, K2EK, K1XM, K3UA, AJ1I,
N2IC, N1EE, K1DH, et al.  (anyone I missed ?)

The first was to set the FD point record - which we did in 5A.  The second
was to beat Murphy's QSO record of about 10k qsos - which we did with 11k
qsos.  The third was to beat our own record - which we did with 12k qsos.
 These efforts were done with towers, beams, lots of operators and a lot of
work.

The latter 2 efforts included KW stations on all bands and modes
simultaneously with aluminum yagis on 40 through 432, including 4 over 4 on
20SSB (tnx K2TR).  80 and 160 were done with various extended Zepp type
antennas etc.  Power was supplied by the National Guard (for free) with a
60KW generator.  They were happy to support our "emergency exercise".  They
manned it during the entire effort and supplied the diesel fuel.  N2NT is
quite a negotiator.

Why haven't we done something like this since ?  It's a lot of work and I
think most of the principals are just too busy running their own lives at
this point in time.

73,
Bob Naumann
KR2J@AOL.com