N0DH IARU SCORE

Subject: N0DH IARU SCORE
From: n0dh@comtch.iea.com (n0dh@comtch.iea.com)
Date: Sun Jul 9 19:21:48 1995
                NAWWHVEMBUR  ZEEERRROOOO DAAWG HOOOOWWWWSSSSS

                                (N0DH)
                           1995 IARU SCORES
                           SINGLE OP, CW ONLY
                        (EASTERN), WASHINGTON SECTION

SUMMARY:

BAND            Q'S          ZONES+HQS

160              20              7
80               44             12
40              255             29
20              390             50
15               47             14
10                5              3
--              ----            ----
TOTALS          761             115

FINAL SCORE:290,835

RIG:
KENWOOD TS850
KENWOOD TL922 AMP

ANTENNAS:
160m......2 INVERTED L'S 80'HIGH x 100'LONG, 280'APART, RADIALS AT 15', PHASED
80M.......70'GP WITH 4 RADIALS AT 20'
40M.......INVERTED V AT 90' (FAVORS NE/SW)
40M THROUGH 10M....1) LAZY H 68'LONG, SPACED 34' ,TOP AT 80',FED WITH 450 OHM
LADDER
                      FAVORS SE/NW ON 40 AND 20, ODD LOBES ON 15 & 10.

                    2) BUTTERNUT HF6V MOUNTED ON 30' X 40' METAL BARN
SOAP BOX:

What a joy this contest was to work!! Maybe it's because the level of
competition is not the same as the "bigger" contests, but I did not run into
one lid who wanted to run me of my run freq by squatting 200 hz away and
calling CQ for 5 minutes. Maybe we can rename this the gentlemans contest. On
2nd thought lets don't, that's what we used to call 160 and there are now more
jerks with amps on that band than you hit with a lightning bolt.

As far as I'm concerned all contests can change to a 24 HR format, here it is
10:00am Sunday morning and I'm almost human again after 4 hours of sleep. I
had fun! I proved (to myself) that you can have have a decent score with only
wire antennas. My XYL is actually speaking to me.

The challange for next year will be in the stratgey of where to be on which
bands, when to run and when to S&P. This was my first all band contest from
the Pacific Northwest and the propagation is totally different from anything I
ever learned growing up in Florida!. JA's can and were worked 24 hours a day
from here on some band. They didn't show up in force till the last 8 hours of
the contest hmmmm. Being called by BV's and BY's in the middle of the
afternoon was a pleasant surpise. While I could hear europe by mid day, I
couldnt really work them with ease till nearly 0z, by 0300 they were 20db over
on 20...go figure.

About the wire antennas! No I'm not trying to prove anything (but a dipoles
only sprint might be fun!) I had the hole (6' x 6' x 4' deep) dug for the new
tower by the end of May and was looking to pour concrete the first week in
June. Around here you dig while the clay is damp because later in the summer
it turns to brick. Then it started raining and the ground has yet to dry out
enough to drive a cement truck accross (250' of virgin field) without burying
it up to the axles which really ruins the cement guys day. I helped a guy hand
mix 4 yds on concrete once and I'll never do that again :-), so here we sit
waiting on the ground to dry out.....

By the way no one answered my post yet about whether certificates for this
contest will be awraded by ARRL Section as in years past or by state as the
rules say this year?

See you on 160 in December!
Dave
N0DH/7