More SO vs SOA

Subject: More SO vs SOA
From: K8DO@aol.com (K8DO@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jul 14 17:33:40 1995
Hi Bob,   KR2J...
Perhaps I worded my bulletin poorly...I am not referring to the skill level
of the operators... Those skills come with doing a lot of contesting... And,
I was not referring to the ability to make more points as SOA... I was
referrring to the increasing investment / equipment level necessary to hope
to be a certificate winner... In SOA it has already inflated to a top grade
transceiver and and an Alpha 87 (or similar) for (nearly) instantaneous band
changes,  tower/beams assembly, and access to a DX spotting packet network...
In many trophy/certificate winning stations, it includes multiple operating
setups, with separate amps /antennas, etc...This trend is carrying into SO,
also....

My concern is that we DO NOT CONTINUE to raise the barriers to winning a
certificate as a SO, with modest equipment, so high that it ceases to be the
entry point to contesting... I would like to keep SO a single op / single
rig, with  multiple awards and recognition for these ops.... i.e. "Best
improved score from the previous year", etc.... and whatever else we can
dream up... I feel this is exceptionally important to continue to attract new
participants....
This is not to discourage those, who wish to move up to "no holds barred"
SOA, from investing in the gear necessary for rapid band changing - or from
doing a multi single / multi multi campaign... This is even to be encouraged,
for those who have the right stuff -> location / finances / etc.

BUT.... This discussion is about keeping SO the entry level to contesting for
the newcomers....

Hope this clarifies my position...
Cheers ...  Denny     k8do@aol.com