Grounding

Subject: Grounding
From: KR2J@aol.com (KR2J@aol.com)
Date: Sat Aug 19 17:19:06 1995
>>I cannot think of ANY condition where you WOULD NOT want to ground the
>>tower to the pool.
>>The goal is to keep all "grounds" at the same potential, so a strike does
>>not flow through, say your A/C wiring to get to  another, better ground.

Steve,

As you may recall, I used to do electrical work and this is one of those
things I could never understand.  Despite the apparent logic of tying all
grounds together, you may be better off by NOT tying the grounds together
from your tower to your pool.

The reason this is most likely true is that the NEC, National Electrical
Code, has specific requirements for pool grounding.  The only thing the
writers of the NEC are interested in is safety.  If you do not follow the
requirements exactly as stated in the code, you may be held liable if there
is anyone injured by a electrical shock in your pool.  Likewise, if all of
your grounding is not done according to code, you may not be able to claim
any damages on your homeowner's insurance from lightning damage.

I would check with your electrician and local building code officials before
doing anything that to most of us "makes sense".  Believe me, a lot of the
things in the NEC don't make sense from an engineer's or technician's point
of view.

Stay safe (and out of court) - 73,

Bob Naumann
KR2J@AOL.com