nny

Subject: nny
From: richards@nylink.org (richards@nylink.org)
Date: Tue Oct 17 20:42:29 1995
Steve N2IC/0 writes:

> Wow !  I smell a rare SS multiplier here.  About the only fair size city is
> Utica.  I would be surprised if the total number of General class and
> higher hams is more than 500.  Anyone want to check their previous SS logs
> and the callbook for WNY and ENY QSO's that fall into one of these counties
> ?

The NNY section was created by dividing up the existing WNY
section. To include any ENY counties (who did want to be
included) would have required a change in the League By-Laws, as
ENY is in the Hudson Division and WNY is in the Atlantic
Division. We have worked for over a year to convince the ARRL
that we are a distinct political, social, geographical, and
cultural entity from the WNY section. Our documentation on this
ran over 100 pages.
The coffee in the clean sweep mug is going to taste a little
sweeter next year. There are contesters here, just can't get
the signals over the mountains.
Hard to tell on my map but I think Utica is still in WNY,
Amsterdam is in NNY and borders the Albany/Schnectady
metroplex.

> P.S.  How many square inches of valuable QST space will be needed for the
> NNY section news ?

About 3.75 Sq. inches., 1.5 x 2.5

72 de Rick WZ2T  Franklin County NNY (Finally!!!!)
    richards@nylink.org

From: Hal Blegen" <halb@comtch.iea.com (Hal Blegen)
Subject: Digital Traffic on 40m

In past years, the defacto standard for frequency use by digital ops
has been the top 20 khz of the lowest 100 khz of the band.  The exception
was 80 meters where 3600 to 3630-ish was used.  The added interest in
the mode has increased the activity to the point where sub-bands within
the digital areas have spread so that 90-110 is packet, 80 to 90 is
normally used for RTTY and you will find other digital modes clear down
to 060.  --But it has always been there.

During major contst digital spread to include areas where
DX stations are allowed to operate digital modes which can put RTTY
clear down to 7025 and 3525.

Very few digital signals are unnattended --most are just sharing the
band like everyone else.  SSB operation is particularly suseptable to
QRM since most SSB ops are using 2.8 khz passband filters where
good digital ops usually run 250 or 400 hz filters and may not even be
aware of the SSB station who is half a khz off his freq.

--
Hal Blegen  WA7EGA
halb@comtch.iea.com