PJ9B CQWW Summary

Subject: PJ9B CQWW Summary
From: jh4rhf@ppp.bekkoame.or.jp (jh4rhf@ppp.bekkoame.or.jp)
Date: Fri Nov 10 11:31:09 1995
> From: kf3p@cais.cais.com (Tyler Stewart)
> Subject: Re: PJ9B CQWW Summary
> <<deleted>>
> >
> >Ran JAs outside the U.S. band - they weren't real loud, so I went by call
> >areas to thin it out a bit. Rate was in the 150-200 range for the 1.5 hours
> >I could run them.
> >

> Tried doing JA's on 20, but the pileup was unbelievably massive and not real
> loud, with no winners.  It's hard to pick out winners when all are using 50
> watts and a vertical! With rates falling below 100, was forced to go up in
> the US band and work US guys with an occasional JA popping thru.  I also
> found the JA pileup on 20 uncharacteristically unruly!  Maybe they just
> werent hearing thru the locals, but most didnt seem to pay any attention to
> my call area pleas or partial calls.

No no, it was not because of poor equip, but propagation !!
I tried to catch you, V26B,on 20 with 5ele tribander and 500W but no luck !!
Your sigs were around S3-5 here. I missed many Zone 7-8-9 stns, like V2, V3,
FG, PJ9, HK0 ....., during phone 'test.
It is really tough path from JA to Zone8.... 15,000km thru north pole.
I understand you do not need such weak JAs, but only one for mult, though.
Hope much better condx next year

73
Jun

Junichi Tanaka Ph.D. JH4RHF
e-mail: jh4rhf@ppp.bekkoame.or.jp
P.O.Box 61 Toyonaka, Osaka 560 JAPAN
ph:  +81-6-846-5927
fax: +81-6-846-0073

From: joe.ham@ctobbs.com (Joe Ham) (Joe Ham)
Subject: Alphas for contesting

Have used Alpha 76 (3 holer) and Alpha 78 in mnay contests---never had a
problem.
Jerry
KG6LF JBOYD@CTOBBS.COM

From: aa0ob@skypoint.com (greg fields) (greg fields)
Subject: SS changes

Some of the proposed SS changes have been:

>> > One solution is to eliminate off-time altogether.  Since this is already a
>> > short contest (why have the DX contest be 48 straight hours, then have
>> > mandatory off time in a contest that is half as long??), since the
off-times
>> > dilute the activity on Sunday, and since there is room for varying
>> > interpretations of the off-time rules, I would really like to see this be a
>> > 24-hour contest.  I'm a big fan of the IARU contest which has exactly that
>> > format.  Is "tradition" the overriding factor here?  At least I'm not
>> > advocating working guys on multiple bands or shortening the exchange!
>> >
>> > What say, guys?

As one of the little guys I see the off time working in my favor. Since
Saturday night is a struggle for me on 40 & 80 when everyone is there, I
take a 5 hour off time at 06:30 so I can come on in the morning when I
can find a spot to call CQ. Part of the fun of sweep stakes is the
stratergy of the off time and the fact that it helps the little guy.

>>       How about letting everyone work everyone on every band too ???
>>      I know a lot of people who will not operate SS because they think
>>       it is a BORING contest......

Again, this helps the little guys. Yes, if a contact was allowed on
every band, it would speed things up quite a bit. (We have the NA QSO tests
for that don't we?)  But, it would give bigger stations another advantage.
The small guys can't be good on every band. But, my 40 meter wires and low
tribander keep me competetive on some of the bands. I don't have to be big
on every band to be competitive since only one contact per station is
allowed. (Besides, there was plenty of activity to make this a exciting
contest.)

>> Well, at the risk of sounding like the ironman that I am turning in to, I
agree
>> with K1TO.  Let's get rid of the off time in SS.  As a compromise to keep the
>> current records meaningful, I could live with shortening the contest to 24
>> hours, total (i.e. 0000Z to 2359Z), but 30 hours, no off-time would be
better !
>>  The current scheme leaves too much room for bending the rules, by using the
>> off-time to look for needed multipliers. (Tell me, Billy and Warren, how many
>> examples of this do you see in the logs - where the first or 2nd QSO after an
>> off-time is a new multiplier ?).

If people have a need to cheat, then they will just turn on the packet
cluster and watch without signing on. Some of these types may do better
by cheating like this but, their victories are hollow.

I must admit, I like having 6 hours off. I have worked some 24 hour + days
at work and don't care to repeat them. I don't have much enthusiasm to
do them in my hobby either, hi! Besides, as another pointed out, since you
don't know how much off time your rival has taken off it makes for a more
exciting contest.

In my opinion, Sweepstakes is so popular because the little guy has
a chance to be competitive. I love contesting but, I just can't be
competitive in the DX tests. Institute some of the mentioned changes
and the little guy just can't be as competitive. I really do think
this would deminish the appeal of the contest for me and many others.
You big guys need us to keep the rates up!

73,

Greg AA0OB

From: Ronald E. Vincent" <rev@efn.org (Ronald E. Vincent)

At 11:31 AM 11/10/95 +0900, jh4rhf@ppp.bekkoame.or.jp wrote:
>> From: kf3p@cais.cais.com (Tyler Stewart)
>> Subject: Re: PJ9B CQWW Summary
>> <<deleted>>
>> >
>> >Ran JAs outside the U.S. band - they weren't real loud, so I went by call
>> >areas to thin it out a bit. Rate was in the 150-200 range for the 1.5 hours
>> >I could run them.
>> >

>> Tried doing JA's on 20, but the pileup was unbelievably massive and not real
>> loud, with no winners.  It's hard to pick out winners when all are using 50
>> watts and a vertical! With rates falling below 100, was forced to go up in
>> the US band and work US guys with an occasional JA popping thru.  I also
>> found the JA pileup on 20 uncharacteristically unruly!  Maybe they just
>> werent hearing thru the locals, but most didnt seem to pay any attention to
>> my call area pleas or partial calls.
>>
>No no, it was not because of poor equip, but propagation !!
>I tried to catch you, V26B,on 20 with 5ele tribander and 500W but no luck !!
>Your sigs were around S3-5 here. I missed many Zone 7-8-9 stns, like V2, V3,
>FG, PJ9, HK0 ....., during phone 'test.
>It is really tough path from JA to Zone8.... 15,000km thru north pole.
>I understand you do not need such weak JAs, but only one for mult, though.
>Hope much better condx next year
>
>73
>Jun
>
>Junichi Tanaka Ph.D. JH4RHF
>e-mail: jh4rhf@ppp.bekkoame.or.jp
>P.O.Box 61 Toyonaka, Osaka 560 JAPAN
>ph:  +81-6-846-5927
>fax: +81-6-846-0073

Jun:

I can tell you that it IS difficult to work and hear JA from zone 8 . . . we
were at ZF2MC last year CQWW SSB, but could only work JA OUTSIDE the test
because of terrific NA QRM and activity . . . it was much easier to hear and
work USA on 20M much less hear JA/Asia.  I wish we could do something about
that, because I personally would like to work JA from that area of the world
(I plan to go to ZF9 Cayman Brac next year if possible for tests), but the
propagation must improve in the next few years, I think.  I really want to
work JA using RTTY from the Caribbean too!!

73 de Ron WJ7R/ZF2RV

rev@efn.org

From: barry@w2up.wells.com (Barry Kutner) (Barry Kutner)
Subject: SS rule changes?

bruce@shore.net (Bruce Marshall) writes:

> Do not shorten the exchange.  It was longer than the present format at one
> time...how many remember that?  Used to be: NR PREC CALL DATE SECT BIRTHDAY
> (no kidding) and TIME.

I remember... Does that mean I'm getting old? (CK 69)
Another frightening thought - In the "25 Years Ago" column in QST, I am
starting to recognize some of the articles!

--

Barry N. Kutner, W2UP       Internet: barry@w2up.wells.com
Newtown, PA                 Packet Radio: W2UP @ WB3JOE.#EPA.PA.USA.NA